- “Naatu Naatu” is a track featured within the 2022 movie, RRR.
- It was nominated for Greatest Unique Tune on the ninety fifth Academy Awards
- “Naatu Naatu” competed in opposition to Rihanna, Girl Gaga, and extra — and gained!
One of many greatest surprises of the 2022 film yr was the worldwide success of RRR, the Telugu-language epic motion drama from director S. S. Rajamouli. A fictionalized/mythological story of friendship between Alluri Sitarama Raju and Komaram Bheem, real-life revolutionaries opposing British rule, RRR options “fairly probably certainly one of cinema’s finest musical dance sequences,” per Slash Movie. It’s the dance quantity that includes Raju (Ram Charan) and Bheem (N. T. Rama Rao Jr.), exhibiting off the British aristocracy alongside to the infectious track, “Naatu Naatu.”
The track itself is an earworm, however what has helped the monitor go viral is the dance, choreographed by Prem Rakshith. In a single second, the celebrities carry out a hook step, and followers have since headed to TikTok in hopes of recreating the steps. BJ Colangelo’s dissection of the scene for Slash Film covers the track’s cultural tie-ins and the way the hook step sequence in “Naatu Naatu” was “designed to make us all wish to dance, and it labored brilliantly.”
RRR WON BEST ORIGINAL SONG 😍💥💥💥 Goosebumps 🌊❤️🔥💥 #Oscar #RRRmovie pic.twitter.com/5UmJRzsAmF
— NTR EDITS (@Movies_Ntr) March 13, 2023
That brilliance paid off huge time in the course of the 2023 awards present season. It gained on the Critics’ Selection Awards (Greatest Tune), Golden Globe Awards (Greatest Unique Tune), and took house the Academy Award for Greatest Unique Tune! The track beat Dianne Warren (“Applause” from Inform It Like A Lady), Girl Gaga (“Maintain My Hand,” from High Gun: Maverick), Rihanna (“Carry Me Up,” from Black Panther: Wakanda Ceaselessly), and Mitski, David Byrne, and Ryan Lott (“This Is A Life,” from The whole lot In every single place All At As soon as).
So, with all these acolodades, right here’s the inside track on the track.
Who Performs “Naatu Naatu”?
“Naatu Naatu” was composed by M.M. Keeravani and options with lyrics by Chandrabose, a prolific author who has penned lyrics for greater than 3,500 songs utilized in Telugu movies.
(Telugu is the language spoken primarily in southeastern India, and is the official language of the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. It’s the native language of over 83 million individuals. As of 2021, Telugu cinema, or Tollywood, is the most important movie trade in India.)
“Some songs through the years have gotten consideration, however this was the primary one to get this type of worldwide response,” Keeravani advised The Wrap. “This response was not anticipated. … There’s numerous power flowing and occurring. The lyrics describe totally different sorts of power and the way power flows, after which you’ve gotten the high-energy beats. … It was a foot-tapping quantity, however then it escalated. It’s not only a track, it’s a complete expertise.”
Whereas the actors sing the track in RRR, it’s not Rao or Charan’s voices that the viewers hears. “Naatu Naatu” is carried out by playback singers (ghost singers whose singing is pre-recorded for movies) Rahul Sipligunj and Kaala Bhairava.
naatu naatu with the women💃🏽 #dancechallenge #dancers #naatunaatu #telugusong #dance #desi #ddn #sisters #desititkok #footwork #rrrmovie
Golden Globe Nomination
“Naatu Naatu” was certainly one of RRR’s two nominations for the eightieth Golden Globes (the opposite being for Greatest Non-English Language Movie.) To take house Greatest Unique Tune, “Naatu Naatu” defeated:
- Taylor Swift, “Carolina” — from The place The Crawdads Sing
- Girl Gaga (with BloodPop and Benjamin Rice), “Maintain My Hand” – from High Gun: Maverick
- Rihanna (with Tems, Ryan Coogler, and Ludwig Göransson), “Carry Me Up” – from Clean Panther: Wakanda Ceaselessly
- Alexandre Desplat, Roeban Katz, and Guillermo del Toro, “Ciao Papa” – from Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
“It’s the most upbeat track of the bunch because it makes viewers wish to dance out to it, and comes with a really catchy tune, with a choreography video scene that lots of its followers have tried to copy on social media,” writes Christopher Tsang for Gold Derby. “It’s a testomony to the movie, which has positively stunned throughout the board with awards our bodies for its over-performance, being the second international language movie to make the Nationwide Board of Assessment High 10 (after “Roma”), and Rajamouli nabbing the Greatest Director prize on the New York Movie Critics Circle, in addition to the film getting 5 Critics Selection Awards nominations, together with Greatest Image and Director.”
It Received An Oscar
Followers felt that “Naatu Naatu” would have been nominated for an Oscar. In December 2021, the movie’s official Twitter account revealed that it had been shortlisted for Greatest Unique Tune. Together with “Naatu Naatu,” the next songs had been shortlisted, (h/t ComicBook.com):
- Giveon, “Time” (Amsterdam),
- The Weeknd, “Nothing Is Misplaced (You Give Me Energy)” (Avatar: The Approach of Water)
- Rihanna’s “Carry Me Up” (Black Panther: Wakanda Ceaselessly)
- Son Lux, Mitski, and David Byrne, “This Is A Life” (The whole lot In every single place All at As soon as)
- Gregory Mann, “Ciao Papa” (Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio)
- Rita Wilson, “Til You’re Residence” (A Man Known as Otto)
- Selena Gomez, “My Thoughts & Me” (Selena Gomez: My Thoughts & Me)
- Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell, “Good Afternoon” (Spirited)
- Sofia Carlson and Diane Warren, “Applause” (Inform It Like a Lady)
- Jazmine Sullivan, “Stand Up” (Until)
- Girl Gaga, “Maintain My Hand” (High Gun: Maverick)
- Norah Jones and Ralph, “Mud & Ash” (The Voice of Mud and Ash)
- Taylor Swift, “Carolina” (The place the Crawdads Sing)
- LCD Soundsystem, “New Physique Rhumba” (White Noise)
naatu naatu dance #natunatusong #natunatu #natu #jrntrmovieclips #jrntr #運営さん大好き #skattube
Even earlier than it took house an award, “Naatu Naatu” was a winner for main new audiences to the nation’s dynamic cinema output — and probably for opening the doorways for extra Telugu songs to obtain worldwide acclaim.
“In India, we’re used to crowds going ballistic throughout screenings: shouting, laughing, clapping, dancing, throwing confetti into the air,” says director Rajamouli to RogerEbert.com. “However to see that occuring exterior my nation, exterior my languages, is an unbelievable feeling. I’d by no means even dreamt that RRR would resonate with individuals throughout cultures, throughout international locations. I by no means anticipated that.”
Click on to Subscribe to Get Our Free HollywoodLife Day by day Publication to get the most popular celeb information.